Monday 29 August 2011

First Class


Well, it is a bit like the movies. The plane wasn't big enough that they pulled a curtain of secrecy or anything like that. But, instantly upon sitting down something felt strange. The seat was wider than my hips AND I could stretch my legs straight out, something I've never been able to do on an airplane. They gave us a drink while all the plebeians walked past us with pleading, parched looks on their faces. I tried to look like I belonged there. A rotund business man across the isle did his best to have unlimited abrupt demands for the flight attendant dedicated to 1st class- just to remind her he was FIRST CLASS. Yes indeed.We got a meal for free, which is nice on a 4 hour flight starting at 6pm. The stewardess came around with a sheet that had all our names on it so she could say, "hi Matt, I'm Cathy...would you like chicken or shrimp salad for dinner." While waiting for our meal we got another drink, with small ice cubes that felt posh compared to those 2 giant clunkers they throw in the plastic cups back in coach. Of course they were glass tumblers too. Then a dish of "warm nuts". Indeed it was a small ceramic pot full of nuts that had been warmed up. Why you warm nuts, I know not- but it sure made it sound more intriguing than a plastic pack of peanuts. And the warm towel distributed via tongs was a must so we could clean up before dinner. Dinner came on ceramic dishes complete with a mini wine glass for water or drinks. AND we had a metal fork and knife. Well, at least it was something in the shape of a knife. It was so rounded and dull I almost asked for a serrated plastic one...but it still looked nice all wrapped up in a cloth napkin.
The attendant came by periodically to wipe our mouths, which was very handy and creepy at the same time.... ok, that part is fake. No dessert though, so that was a bummer. But Wait! An hour after dinner, what is that familiar aroma? Yes, fresh baked (or warmed anyway) cranberry and nut cookies with little glasses of milk. That was a nice touch.
Was it worth the price of a 1st class ticket? I don't know since I got a free upgrade. Is it a much different experience than suffering for 4 hours in coach? You better believe it. It was lonely to be there by sans family, but I consoled myself by watching Thor, a movie no one in my family would have watched with me. (and I'd never watch again-dull).
So it took me nearly 20 years of flying before I took a flight in 1st class, I can only hope it will be a lot less than that before my next opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment